We Can Learn Arabic Website: Spring Update

How has it worked?

Overall, better than I even anticipated! Although students like some units better than others, they definitely prefer the site overall to using a textbook. The thematic units are helpful for focusing on a particular topic, and grouping texts by language function (or can-do statement) really allows students to focus on improving their ability to do that function, as we repeat it several times with different texts. As far as the texts go, partnering with Playaling has been a great success, as it allows students to benefit from texts that might be slightly above their level, or in a variety of Arabic they are less familiar with. From a teacher perspective, it’s been great to see students really develop their language abilities in a focused manner, and especially some of the creative memes they’ve produced for various assessments! 

Improvements we’ve made

Plans for the future

In this and other curriculum development endeavors, we are a small team that has to fit these efforts into our regular workload, and so we’ve developed a system to track what we’ll focus on now, and what we will address in future iterations.  This has allowed us (over the course of six years) to move from relying solely on a textbook to having our own open-access website, bit by bit. This academic year, our goal was to simply get all of the materials on the website, with enough units for our first two years of classes (and given the challenges of this year, I’m frankly still kind of surprised we did it).  Other ideas are saved for the future, and these range from the major (including an interactive alphabet book (or maybe app), project options for each unit, moving to a better website builder, including a wider range of dialects) to the more minor (adding more units, finding all the typos and broken links, updating all of the units to a consistent format).  







Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *